Is your shampoo the culprit for triggering hair loss?
Could the Wrong Shampoo be Causing Your Hair Loss Issues?
Many people experience hair loss at some point in their lives, and it can be a frustrating and distressing issue. While there are various factors that can contribute to hair loss, such as genetics, hormonal changes, and underlying medical conditions, one factor that is often overlooked is the choice of shampoo. Activance follicle friendly shampoos help you get this important 'first step' towards hair health and growth right.
Understanding the Importance of Shampoo
Harsh shampoos induce inflammation and/or irritation resulting in reduced hair growth or hair loss.
Shampoo plays a vital role in maintaining the health of our hair and scalp. It cleanses the scalp, removes dirt and excess oils, and helps to keep the hair strands nourished and hydrated. However, not all shampoos are created equal, and using the wrong one may lead to adverse effects on the hair and scalp.
Harmful Ingredients in Shampoos
Many commercial shampoos contain harsh chemicals, sulphates, and synthetic fragrances that can strip the hair of its natural oils and disrupt the delicate balance of the scalp. These ingredients can cause dryness, and irritation and, in some cases, contribute to hair loss. Activance shampoos and conditioners contain no harsh or hazardous ingredients ensuring that you have the perfect scalp microbiome for healthy hair growth.
The Sulphate-free Shampoo Trend
The increasing popularity of sulphate-free shampoos can be attributed to a growing awareness among a majority (60%) of the general population over the past 50 years regarding the negative aspects of SLS/SLES, commonly known as "sulphates" or "sulfates". However, there still remains a significant portion (40%) who continue to assume that their current hair products are good simply because they are associated with well-known or international mega-brands or because they are marketed or labelled as "good," "gentle," or "natural," among other claims.
It is expected that it will take another 50 years for the larger proportion (80%) of the general population to acquire approximately 60% of the truth regarding the drawbacks of SLS/SLES or sulphates.
Additionally, it is important for people to understand that not all "sulphate-free" shampoos are created equal in terms of safety and gentleness, as there are other components and variations in their formulation that will determine the overall gentleness and safety.
Multinational personal care companies introduced Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) in the 1950s as the world's first soap replacement. They cleverly invented and marketed "conditioners" as companion sale items to hide the damaging effects of SLS and SLES without disclosing them.
SLS and its variants, including SLES, are known for their harsh and irritating effects on the skin and scalp. They are used as the reference irritation standard for testing against the gentleness of new molecules or products in most laboratories.
In 1983, an independent research article, Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR). Final report on the safety assessment of sodium lauryl sulfate and ammonium lauryl sulphate. Int J Toxicology 1983;2(7):127-181. It confirmed the drying, harshness, and damage and hair loss potential caused by SLS, but most manufacturing companies chose to ignore these findings.
In 1985, I advocated for sulphate-free alternatives to SLS, which proved effective in resolving hair loss and other scalp issues. This led to consumer demand for sulphate-free personal care products.
The term "sulphate-free" was coined by marketers to simplify technical terms, causing confusion. For example, Sodium Coco Sulphate, labelled as SF-1, is classified as "Sulphate-Free" despite having severe irritation scores comparable to SLS or SLES. On the other hand, Magnesium sulphate, though containing "sulphate" in its name, is safe and beneficial at the right dosage. This confusion has led professionals to prefer "SLS free" over "Sulphate-Free."
Additionally, the EU Health Commission plans to ban the term and usage of "SLS free", "Sulphate-Free" in coming years while encouraging the use of products labelled as "NO SLS" or "NO sulphates" instead.
Activance Sulphate-free Shampoos are Different
Our shampoos are unique for the following three health principles and also because of their unique composition.
- My expertise as an experienced R&D and regenerative health pharmacist is scientifically formulating products. The range I've developed isn't your ordinary generic line. I firmly believe that the public deserves something far superior to what multinational companies typically offer. I have been striving to educate people about the concept of "total hair and scalp health" rather than just simply "hair care" as peached by others.
- Activance shampoos prioritise hair health and exclude personal and environmental health risky ingredients, often at additional expense, setting them apart from other hair care products.
- They are suitable for all hair and scalp types, regardless of age or stage in life. This includes pregnant or breastfeeding women, as well as sick individuals, including cancer sufferers.
As mentioned above, the gentleness and safety of a shampoo is not only determined by the primary cleansing agent, also known as surfactant, whether it's a "sulphate" cleansing agent or sulphate free or alternative. All other shampoo components also play a role…
Here is an overview of the typical components found in a shampoo composition. These components, listed in every bottle in descending order of relative amount, greatly influence the shampoo's overall performance, gentleness, and points of distinction from other products.
Take a moment to examine the chart, then determine whether the shampoo you are currently using, which claims to be “natural and gentle,” actually lives up to its claims. Please pay particular attention to the main detergent ingredient listed near the beginning of the ingredient list, as it is typically present in the highest quantity and listed in descending order.
The Unique Composition of Activance Shampoos
Activance shampoos are different from other hair care products due to their unique composition and commitment to hair and scalp health. Let's explore what sets them apart:
- Activance contains NO SLS/SLES nor unsafe "Sulphate-Free" cleansing alternatives: SF1, despite having "sulphate" in its name, is classified as "Sulphate free" or SF for short. However, it has an irritation score of 25.25, which is similar to the sulphate agents (SLS or SLES) in terms of irritation. SF2 to SF9 are considered severe irritants, while SF10 to SF13 are classified as moderate irritants. The main detergent agent, SF14 from Activance, is exceptionally gentle, with a zero irritation score.
- Exclusion of Harmful Conditioning Agents: Activance shampoos are free from Quats (Ammonium Quaternary Compounds), Silicones, and Polyethylene Glycols (PEGs). These conditioning or coating agents, commonly found in other shampoos, can create a slippery impermeable film on the hair, which may be detrimental to both your health and the environment.
- No Added Salt or Thickening Agents: Unlike most other shampoos on the market, we consciously choose not to include common salt as a cheap thickening agent in our formula. It's a common practice in the shampoo industry to add large amounts of salt, even exceeding the salt content found in sea water. However, this high salt content can be detrimental to your hair follicles, which may be already slow-growing and unhealthy. Additionally, salt can cause damage to the hair shaft, as you may have experienced after swimming in the sea or a saltwater pool. We prioritise the health of your hair and scalp, so while our products may have a different or thinner consistency, but rest assured that they will give you an effective and enjoyable experience even after washing. By eliminating salt and harsh thickening agents, our formula offers several benefits. It preserves your hair and scalp health, reducing dryness and breakage caused by salt buildup. Additionally, our products are compatible with all salon keratin treatments, ensuring long-lasting results.
- Beneficial Additives at Effective Concentrations: Activance shampoos incorporate beneficial additives, carefully selected based on scientific research, and added in effective amounts to deliver the intended benefits without being mere marketing gimmicks. This approach ensures that you receive the maximum benefits for your hair and scalp health.
- No Chemical Preservatives, Fragrance, or Artificial Pigments: Activance shampoos are free from harsh chemical preservatives. Instead, they use high-quality and uncontaminated ingredients, following strict manufacturing processes and incorporating a natural self-preserving system comprising bioidentical molecule, Rhodanide, and approved food-grade amino acid complexes. Additionally, they do not contain artificial opacifiers, pigments, or unnecessary fragrances, as these can impose health and environmental hazards.
The Role of Activance in Promoting Safe and Effective Hair Health
Our commitment to providing 100% pure and clean products aligns with the principles of green chemistry. We utilise the latest innovative and safe ingredients to offer functional and safe alternatives to the public. By prioritising your well-being, personal health, and the environment, Activance stands out as a small, scientifically advanced, privately-owned company that takes pride in offering superior hair health solutions.
While hair loss can have various causes, using the wrong shampoo can contribute to the problem. Choosing a follicle-friendly shampoo that is gentle, free from harmful ingredients, and designed to promote hair and scalp health, such as an Activance shampoo, may help alleviate hair loss issues. It is essential to prioritise your hair and scalp health by selecting products that are backed by scientific research and formulated with safe and effective ingredients. Consult with professionals and explore natural and nourishing options to give your hair the care it deserves.
Shop follicle friendly shampoos and conditioners today to give your hair the best chance at growth.
Need help? contact us with any questions or queries regarding the content of this blog.